Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In the studio...Using a slide.

We are taking advantage of our time off to do some song writing and recording.  Today we did some recording on a newer song called, "Never Wanted."  In this tune I use a slide on the main riff and I'm pleased with the effect.  It really gives a different type of energy to the tune.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of the Derek Trucks Band. Derek blows me away with his melodic and effortless slide guitar. I could listen to him play all day long.

I'm by no means an accomplished slide guitar player and the riff in Never Wanted is pretty straight-forward. I think for beginning slide players a key technique to understand is how to block the strings not in use with the right hand. In the picture notice how my pinky, ring and middle finger are curled under.  They are doing a lot of the blocking of the E and B strings and thus keeping the focus on the G and D strings where the slide is hitting the notes.

Never Wanted will be a part of an EP (digitial release only) and will hopefully be available soon. Until then check out some songs from our first CD, streamed for free.